Friday, July 8, 2011

Why I Do It

There are 6 days left to prove what's possible in the Delta!  This summer has been a new and challenging adventure, but I know that I am going to come out as a better teacher and a better person.

I was looking for some inspiration, and someone very special to me reminded me of a writing piece that hangs by my door.  I wrote this piece at the end of my first year of teaching and I strategically placed it by my door, so I would read it before I went to school every day.  It reminds of me of why I'm here, why I love my job, and why all of the frustration is worth it.  I know each of you has and will have your own reasons for doing this crazy job, but here are mine.  I hope they resonate with you and remind you of the reasons you call yourself a teacher.  

Why I Do It
Life is about more than boosting your resume.  Trust me.  I would not be here teaching in the middle of nowhere if all I wanted was a resume boost.  There has to be something in life that makes it worth getting up each morning.  For me, it's my kids.  Knowing that I can give them the only hug they might get all day or be there to say the first encouraging words they have heard in weeks. 
I get to see the simplest moments translate into the most significant triumphs.  I'm also there for the disappointments and the heart breaks (and trust me I have too many stories to tell in this department).  But at the end of the day, no matter how mad I get or how much I might yell (which i do -- way too often), I can truly believe that my kids know that at least one person loves them (me).  It might sound really cheesy, but it's seriously the only thing that has kept me going through the hardest year of my life. 
These kids who have nothing still have some of the most amazing spirits I have ever seen.  Some of the people I admire most in this world happen to be SEVEN YEARS OLD
I know I'm not perfect and there are hundreds of things that I want to change for next year, but this year has been the best and the worst of my life and I will remember it always.  These kids have a piece of my heart forever!

As we push ourselves through the sleepless nights and unappreciative students, we need to remember why we are here. For those of you who are Teach for America, I encourage you to revisit your letter of intentRemind yourself why you are here and gear up for the next 6 days!  This job is worth all of the sacrifices, because these kids are worth it.  Just remember that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment